Friday, March 19, 2010

JESUS DOESN"T LIVE HERE ANYMORE: Song Lyrics

JESUS DOESN’T LIVE HERE ANYMORE LYRICS
 
 
Making My Peace.

I ain’t no cold turkey
On a hot hot date
Things are bound to get better
Me I’m willing to wait
My turn and I’m willing
To let it all ride
On a little shot of something
Keep me satisfied

Chorus: And I’m tying up my britches
Got my big boots on
Moon’s on the rise
Got a brand new song
Called feeling at ease
Getting along
Called making my peace
Before I’m too far gone

Now I had me a woman
She was good for the show
Kept everybody guessing
Took her years to go
And I don’t mind saying
I’m a happy man
And I can mean it ‘bout as much
As anybody else can

Chorus:

Now it’s a big bad world
And a pitiful shame
I can’t find nobody
But myself to blame
Now I’m stating my case
Taking my place
At the head of the line
Getting out of this race

Chorus:
 
 
Child Of God.

He’s a child of God
No more no less
And I can’t tell you why he took it
Where he did but if pressed
I’d have to say
There was something missing something wrong
Something deep down inside him
And he knew it all along

Now there were signs some say
Looking back today
He ran these hills alone
His parents gone
One dead one beat down
He answered to no one
His the driest eyes in town
But that don’t measure how he sees it all
When there’s no one else around
And that moon shines
Tiny corners he finds them
And the wind blowing circles
In and out his mind
Is that him crying
Outside some window silhouette
It’s blood and noise and
His heart’s poison from the start

First Verse Repeats:

Now there’s nothing moving
In that dark deserted night
He lays face down in the weeds
And his eyes clinched tight
And his ears hear all everything
The shadows call he hears them sing
Converging right here
Urging him and his fears
They carry him along

And they found her down
In a culvert bound
She was beaten she was bruised
She was dead and he had used her
And even the strongest
Had to turn their face away
Their stomachs buckle
Things unthinkable
Too horrible to say

And the good sheriff smiled
As he jerked that chain
And the newspapers and photographers
They described and glorified it
All so well in such detail
He can’t explain it or remain
It just means nothing to him now

He’s a child of God
Tell me what that means
All the empty and the angry
Left out in between encompassing
All I ever was or been
Nothing in the eyes of God
Nothing in the eyes of men

Repeat First Verse:
 

Dark Night Of The Soul.

Come a crippled time a man
Lose the purpose in his way
What’s the reason left to go on
What's the reason left to stay
What’s the reason you suppose he asks
In hanging on ain’t nothing lasts
Nothing now left to me
Of who I was ain’t charity

As he pours another round
It’s so easy going down
And his logic starts to swim
As it slips away from him
In the fire and fury of his hate
His judge and jury just can’t ait
The verdict’s in guilty as sin
Returned and turned and turned again

And there’s a dark night of the soul
Just beyond a man’s control
Where he’s staring scared and trying so hard
Not to let it show
And he’s talking grace of God
He’s talking free at last
He’s talking nowhere to go in this world
He’s talking nowhere to go

Now he’s staring out the door
As the rain starts to pour
And the light’s have all grown dim
One by one ‘til it’s just him
In this dark deserted place
Staring at the haunted face
A reflection in the glass
All that never came to be

And there ain’t no mama ain’t no papa
Ain’t no family or friends
Just the cold edge of the morning
Slowly twisting in the wind
And he’s talking grace of God
He’s talking free at last
He’s talking nowhere too go in this world
He’s talking nowhere to go


Isadora’s Dancing Tonight.

And the lights twirl and twist
‘Round her swirling her fist
Is held high in the air
Clinched in the light
And her hair’s cold and red
Swirling curls ‘round her head
Isadora’s dancing tonight

And the orchestra plays
And the orchestra rests
And the young men in tails
Attend to her needs
This one here’s so polite
This one here idolizes
The ground that she walks on
And she just despises

The music that holds her
So tightly and owns her
‘Til she’s out on the floor
Can forget all the rest
All the ordinary needs
As the world breathes and bleeds
She can soar she wants more
Wants them all on their knees

And the lights twirl and twist
‘Round her swirling her fist
Is held high in the air
Clinched in the light
And her hair’s cold and red
Swirling curls round her head
Isadora’s dancing tonight
Isadora’s dancing tonight  
 

Papa’s Dancing With His Daughter.

There’s a high step and a low step
And a stepping in-between
How he told it to Tom Potter
‘bout that incident last week
There ain’t hardly nothing to it
I’ll get back to you about it
Don’t you worry Buddy
We can work it out
It’ll be alright

And she’s laughing and she’s pushing him
And telling him to go
On out there on the dance floor
She can’t hardly hold her grin in
He’s just like he’s always been
Going on and on some nothing
Don’t half matter way he does
He always has it’s the way he is

Chorus: Papa’s dancing with his daughter
Up and down the doissy-do
To your left to your right
To your partner bowing low
Then he’ll take her in his arms
And he’ll twirl her ‘round real slow
Then hand in hand they’ll promenade on home

And that fiddle make a screech
And a man will make a speech
About the graduation Friday
And the summer coming on
It all just seems like yesterday
Yeh but that’s what they all say
It’s true too soon you’re wondering
Just where it’s all gone

He remembers she was younger
She was sitting on his knee
He was bouncing her hugging her
He told himself earlier
He ain’t going to do this she’s been
His heart’s one full pride and joy
But them tears are welling up inside him
Now oh boy

Chorus:

And she puts her hand in his
And she whispers in his ear
Some old silly secret endearment
He used to whisper it to her
As he tucked her in her bed
It all runs together in his head
She’s smiling blushing so full
All her dreams tonight

And the room seems to freeze
There’s a weakness in his knees
As he’s looking all around
Feelings coming into play
‘Cause there’ll come a time he knows
When he’ll have to let her go
When he’ll have to stand
And watch her dance away

Chorus:


Daddy’s Dark Eyes.

Daddy’s dark eyes look away
Searching them shadows no one else can see
And when he comes home to me what can I say
Well that’s between daddy and me

Sometimes the light how it falls
Brings it back like a crack through a wall
A particular sound the wind wraps around
Pull it close to the heart no one else miles around

And I drift in and out I can’t sleep
I can’t fight off these feelings that keep me
A child in my mind in a panic can’t find
Any reason this darkness reaching out and I’m dying and

Repeat First Verse:

And I’m waking haunted some heartbeat gone crazy
Blood burning hot in my brain I can’t tell
It’s that whiskey his breath that reminds me of death
I can feel his rough touch like I’m rushing through hell
I remember so much I remember so well
What I felt how I’m held I can never escape
I can never forgive what was nothing but hate
As night after night I’d just lay there and wait
Know he’s coming soon he’s coming soon

Do you understand what I’m asking you
Do you understand what I’m needing from you
Just some kind of answer I can take it as true
Tell me what did I ever really mean to you
Just what was I ever to you…

Repeat First Verse:


Picking Up And Going.

Ain’t no cause ain’t no cure
We could talk about it sure
But I don’t believe we could change a thing
It’s been coming on too long
Now it’s gotten way too strong
For the answers evening can bring

In the stillborn crackling of a cold dark night
For awhile I thought I had it
For awhile you know I might have
But I let it get right by me I let it slip away
Seems there’s some things I don’t need to know
Some things that I can’t say
And I guess I’ve really always been that way

Chorus: And there’s no way I’ll be believing
There’s any other way of knowing
And the only thing left to leaving now
Is the picking up and going

We don’t need no doctor here
Take a knife to cut a tear
Take more than me or you ever had before
And it hurts to know you mean it
When you’re saying that you seen it all
And that there ain’t no looking anymore

You’ve got seasons and silences sounds of your own
And yes I guess I really always known
That a moment ain’t forever
You and I were never made
Just to sit there like we had to
Like we were getting paid
Like a bad hand of cards
That we played

Chorus:


Everything Changes.

I drove back to Norfolk fully intending
To tell her my mind I was tired of pretending
Something I never was or ever could be
I was sick of that way she kept looking at me
She’s pregnant and pissed and telling me why
She’s drinking beer and smoking said she couldn’t stop
I was never really sure she said I was the father
She could have been lying so I didn’t bother

Chorus: People fall into patterns of deceit
Life’s like an accident waiting to happen
A package tied up with ribbons so neat
I don’t think so the crowd’s stomping and clapping
Now everyone needs everyone uses
Everything changes everyone chooses
And everything comes to a head
Everything comes to a head

Now Brent he’s back from the navy or jail
Or somewhere sometimes it’s hard to tell
She’s leaning up against him talking ‘bout back when
They was hot for each other it could be that way again
She’s all up in his ear making it clear
They’re shooting the whiskey chasing it beer
I love him she shouts out I never did love you
I tell her hell that’s what I been waiting to hear

Chorus:

And the band starts the second or the third set I forget
An old friend comes in we go out blow a number
Later on the band’s cranking she’s all over the place
Way she always was up in my face
And goddamn this old world and the way that it is
The music’s just ugly and pounding and loud
She wants to know why it turned out this way
But I don’t know so I don’t say

And she’s out there dancing so alone and above
Them all she don’t care she’s so crazy and wild
Way she was I first met her I think that’s what I used to love
She was younger and free and had her own style
Now Brent’s back from the dead a thick tongue in his head
I’m gonna kick your ass he slips as he slurs
Like you really could I’m thinking laughing to myself
Cause tonight he ain’t my problem he’s hers

And I swallow a bottle burns all the way down
Got a rage needs a stage but what would it matter
Nothing at all I know that now
Throw that bottle just past his head
Against the wall to hear it shatter

Chorus
 

Jesus Didn’t Die.

And I never said a word to stop him never raised a hand
He’s going off all half-cocked and you’ve got to understand
How people around here feel about that sort of thing
And I sure didn’t want them thinking nothing crazy about me

Now it was all in his head Jimmy talked him into leaving
With the two of us acting like we’s maybe interested
Got him in the truck down the road he started laughing
How you bought a line of shit boy now we’re gonna fuck you up

Hard come a big right fist hard come another
Got a good grip on a baseball bat a free easy swing
Hate was in the air and blood was everywhere
Hell I thought he had some money we was gonna rob him maybe
But Jimmy he ain’t stopping you can see it from a distance
And he ain’t standing no further than from there to here

Chorus: He said Jesus didn’t die for faggots like you
Jesus didn’t die for faggots like you
So shut up and take what’s coming to you
And you’re gonna have to do your own suffering too
Cause Jesus didn’t die for faggots like you

Now Jimmy tied another rope around his neck we left him there
Barely breathing beyond begging a long time ago
Got back in the truck and the wind was picking up
Jimmy’s beating on my dashboard and it’s starting to snow

And we barely a said a word all the way back into town
Jimmy’s breathing crazy snorting hyper-ventilating rushing
Goddamn we showed him didn’t we and he’s laughing and he’s slamming
His fist into my dash again and I wish he’d stop that too

And I don’t know what I’m feeling but it don’t feel right
Jimmy’s talking ‘bout another queer in hell tonight
And I’ve known him all my life and I thought we’s just alike
But I seen something in his eyes tonight something I ain’t never seen
Something empty just like nothing become something sick and mean

And I ain’t saying I’m no angel no I’ve danced my devils too
But I been to that church with mama and you know some of that stuff sticks
And the thought kind of hit me blind and I can’t rightly follow through
But I know what I should have done and what I didn’t do
And I can’t get it out of my mind so maybe I’ll ask you
Can a man be a Christian and a coward too
 
Cause I never said a word to stop him never raised a hand
He’s going off all crazy and you got to understand
How people around here feel about a queer
And I sure wouldn’t want them thinking nothing crazy about me
No I wouldn’t want them thinking nothing at all about me

Chorus: Cause Jesus didn’t die for Faggots like you
Jesus didn’t die for faggots like you
So shut up and take what’s coming to you
And you’re gonna have to do your own suffering too
Cause Jesus didn’t die for faggots like you
My Jesus didn’t die my Jesus didn’t die
My Jesus didn’t die for faggots like you
  

Toss Your Partner.

If anything is as true
As any other thing to you
Then tell me why you think I’m
Gonna swear by that tear in your eye

Cause I seen it coming it’s been there before
And my pride’s a long time out the door
And I’d give what I got not to still be here
Just shooting the breeze drinking the beer

Waitress leaning on a one-way ticket
Check her face in the window pane
Icy moon on a binge tonight
And no one can explain

Why it took so long just to go so wrong
You don’t get to hide behind your first last name
And the you I knew is a longtime gone
And I figure you could say the same about me
If you wanted you could say the same

Chorus: And hands are reaching under tables in the candlelight
Words are tossed like ashes to the ground
Fingers are dancing to another tune now
Toss your partner around Toss your partner around

If everyone is as free
As you and I are supposed to be
Then tell me why the changing guard
Just stand around and stare so hard

Like they know something maybe I ought to know
Hell I seen it coming hate to see it go
But there ain’t no looking when there ain’t no more
Reasons to be looking for

Waitress gonna give us one last call
And we’re face to face and we’re facing a wall
And it’s too late now to wonder how it’ll feel
Cause when the lights come up you’ve got to settle the bill
That’s right we got to settle the bill

Chorus:


Love Be Gentle.

Chorus: Love be gentle Love be kind
Love be yours and love be mine
Love be more than we’re looking for
And don’t get left behind
Don’t leave your love behind

I called a number I called a name
Took a chance and I fanned a flame
I found myself where I sometime hid
But I weren’t feeling as free as I one time did
And she said…

Chorus:

I stared beyond the campfire’s glow
Where the darkness starts where the shadows grow
And I never raised my eyes to see
That the stars a-shining they were shining on me
And she said…

Chorus:

She moved toward me in the night
My eyes lost sight my mind took flight
She took my hand then she took me in
And the blood was tingling all in my skin
When she said…

Chorus 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment